The Louisiana Surgical Quality Collaborative (LaSQC) is an initiative of Louisiana hospitals seeking to measure and improve the care of surgical patients throughout the state. On their journey to improve safety culture, each participating hospital will work to implement or enhance its surgical checklist between October 3, 2019 and October 2020. The goal of the collaborative is to work through barriers to achieve universal participation of the surgery staff, and the initial focus of the Collaborative is on building change management skills relative to the adoption of the surgical checklist
The LaSQC is a collaboration between the Louisiana Alliance for Patient Safety (LAPS) Patient Safety Organization (PSO) and participating hospitals. The LaSQC was established in 2019 and initially was partially funded through generous grants from Blue Cross Blue Shield Louisiana and the Louisiana Hospital Association Education and Research Foundation. This funding significantly reduces financial barriers for Louisiana surgeons and hospitals wishing to participate in, and benefit from, the program.
Mission & Vision:
LaSQC is a collaborative learning community that aims to optimize quality and safety and reduce costs by improving surgical care and fostering provider professional development across practice settings. LaSQC’s objectives include, but are not limited to:
- Establishing a collaborative, non-competitive environment in which clinicians, allied healthcare providers, and healthcare administrators around the state can gather to promote the delivery of surgical care that is safe, efficient, effective, equitable, and patient-centered;
- Developing a platform for comparative benchmarking of member-defined performance measures;
- Disseminating evidence-based guidelines and facilitating site-specific implementation strategies; and
- Providing a forum for individualized feedback and continued performance improvement.
The LaSQC seeks to continually improve the quality of surgical care, prevent complications, and eliminate patient harm at all Louisiana hospitals using a patient-centered approach that is both data-driven and cost-effective. The Collaborative will foster an environment of collaboration, learning and innovative inquiry in order to achieve its goals.
To gain confidentiality protections for the data that is collected, the LaSQC Collaborative will function within the Louisiana Alliance for Patient Safety (LAPS) Patient Safety Organization (PSO); therefore, all participating hospitals will need to be, or become, a member of the LAPS PSO for this collaboration.
Benefits of LaSQC Participation:
Hospital/Facility Participant Benefits
Subject to available resources, funds and data from data providers, which shall be determined in the sole discretion of the LAPS PSO; LaSQC will offer both hospital participants and their affiliated clinicians and staff a wide range of opportunities for education, innovation and general quality improvement. Activities include the following:
- Updates on the latest evidence-based practices, as well as support and resources for implementing these best practices;
- In-person meetings: Oct. 3, 2019 Project Launch Workshop and an October 2020 event to celebrate successes;
- Site visits to assist with implementation of evidenced-based practices as resources permit.
- Educational opportunities via webinar, in-person meetings and coaching calls during the course of the project; and
- Data support (including for collection and analysis) and feedback.